Monday, July 18, 2011

Sticky situation

Sticky is a lovely, well-behaved, happy dog. Lots of times through the day she will just stand and stare at Ron or I and wag her tail. She's good on a leash, good with other dogs, and would likely be good with Kitty, eventually. Kitty is still cranky, but is much better than a couple of days ago.

Look how cute.

But now Ron is miserable with allergies. How horrible! He is stuffed up and itchy all over, and he has asthma, all of which are a bad combination. I, obviously, want Sticky to stick around, but don't want my husband to be sick and snotty for the next 10 years. Ron likes Sticky too, and likes nothing more than when I am happy, so he is conflicted. He feels bad. I feel bad. We feel bad.

So what to do? I wonder if his allergies will get better? I hear that there are desensitization shots, but would they actually work? If Ron were to get treatment, we will grow more and more attached to Sticky, making the inevitable much worse.

It seems like the best thing to do would be to take her back, and chalk it up to a learning experience, but that really sucks. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Wait! When I adopted Zaki, I thought I was allergic. Turned out it wasn't to him (I'd been kissing a number of kittens at the SPCA the day I adopted him), but I learned a few things. There is a spray called Nature's Miracle, which you can spray on your animal every day. It contains enzymes that reduce dander and it really works. If you brush her everyday before spraying in a place where Ron isn't sitting, and then use the spray, that could help a lot. Bathing her often with a dander reducer will also help. Ron should not brush her or put his face in her hair, and if he washes his hands every time he finishes petting her, that could also help. She can sleep in a dog bed outside of your bedroom. Maybe try this regime for a few days or a week and see what happens.
    LG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! It cracks me up that you had a reaction after "kissing a number of kittens." I am going to the pet store!

    ReplyDelete