Saturday, March 23, 2013

Vienna is lovely. And I am miserable.

Vienna is a fantastic city! There is so much to do and nearly everything is drop-dead picturesque beautiful. The museums are out of control, cathedrals are bonkers, and the Viennese cafes are simply stupid, they are so good. And the pastries. I think they are laced with crack. Or unicorn dust. Or some other substance that makes them WAY more delicious than should be legal.


mmm... Best apple strudel I've had yet.

Despite all these adorning qualities, I am alone and can't seem to get past the feeling that my family and life are elsewhere. This isn't necessarily surprising, but given that I am busy when I am away, I usually adapt fairly quickly. Its not like this is my first rodeo, people. Distance would be my middle name, if it weren't already Mai. You'd think because I've spent so much time away before, I'd barely bat an eye. Nope. Sigh.

Keys to nothing.

Anyhow, I am trying to fill my time with things I enjoy, and Saturday morning at Naschmarkt is definitely high on the list.

Fresh stuff from the non-flea market end of Naschmarkt.

I especially love the flea market, which has everything you could ever imagine and way more. None of which anyone needs. Some of which is truly bizarre.

All of the junk you never wanted. And more.

Today, I bought two old World War 2 era letters, with the idea that it would be interesting to read and translate them. Sounds fun, right? Yeah, except I cannot read the hand writing, German or no German! You'd think I'd of noticed this from the addresses on the envelopes, which I find equally illegible.





There are a few flea market goods which I am drawn to, including well-loved stuffed animals and old signs. Last week I saw a very well-loved antique child's rocking toy and I was hoping to re-find it today. Alas, no such luck. I did find a wonderful elephant version, but dude wanted 200 Euro for it. Seriously, that is some "vasa" pricing.

Elephant "rocker." Adorable, right?

I am somewhat less fond of creepy dolls, which are abundant.


"Victor" the creepy part-headless, definitely pant-less sailor doll.
With a pack of cigarettes. 

Tomorrow I am going to see an Easter market, where apparently you buy decorated eggs and pussy willow branches to hang them on. When in Rome...


No comments:

Post a Comment