Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 in review

A New Year is upon us, which got me to thinking about the year that has passed...

I rang in 2012 in Costa Rica, with a great group of field school students who kindly taught me about drinking games.

Osa field station NYE 2011, Costa Rica


I also got to visit with an orphaned baby sloth.

Osa Wildlife Sanctuary, Costa Rica


And continued being generally awkward.

Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica


Some local bar, Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica



Moved to Colorado. In January.

Gross 
Death-cicles

Did a LOT of work.







































Which was fueled by a LOT of these.

mmm...



Prepared for and survived the "storm of the century."






Made some new friends.

Steve!
My humidifier. I was lonely.





Dabbled with snake poop.


Finished, defended, and revised Dissertation LaFleur. And got a little choked up when it was all over.




Took a trip to Portland, where I drank some beer, ate a few donuts, and saw some Anthropologists.



Got mad at CU.

Bastards. Medical mj is legal.


Saw the President speak.

Obama!


Moved back to California, where I ate some tasty nosh and spent some time at the beach.

Crab, al la Ron
Caprese at Joan's on third

Whole Foods bakery. drool. La Jolla.
Fish tacos at Don Panchos,
Imperial Beach.

Huckleberry pastry case. double drool. LA.

Cherry danish in Solvang.
Bumbleberry pie in Julian.
Country Board at Meze Wine Bar, San Luis Opispo.


Torrey Pines (my favorite place on the planet!)

Torrey Pines

Torrey Pines

Torrey Pines



Nursed one of Ron's many injuries.

Crushed distal fibula.


Had a few headaches, wherein Ron returned the favors.



Took a trip to Mexico, where I swam with WHALE SHARKS!

 Off of Isla Mujeres, Mexico.


Took a trip up the coast of California.
Elephant Seal Beach, near Big Sur, CA.

Pescadero, CA.
Carmel By-the-Sea, CA.
Hearst Ranch. Luckiest cows ever.


Took a trip to Vancouver Island, which I have no pictures of because I am an economizing angel and I didn't turn on my phone the whole time.

All in all, it was a good year. I finally (!) finished school and started getting paid to write. With the help of my psychiatrist, kept my depression in check. I put on 15lbs (oops), but it is now a New Year and there is no better time to work on cramming your sausage legs back into your way too tight jeans. And by "your" I mean "my." I started a non-profit and made great connections with other conservationists.

For 2013? I resolve to take on only moderately more work than is realistic (as opposed to WAY more). I will venture to Europe and back to Madagascar, while trying to stay happy and healthy.


Happy New Year to all, and to all a happy New Year!






















1 comment:

  1. Marni,

    Ilook forward to reading about your adventures and even hope to be part of them. Also very exited to think i can empower myself to help make a difference with mental health issues.

    Pa

    ReplyDelete